Newark, DE – The Wilmington Area Planning Council (WILMAPCO) has released the region’s draft Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) for public comment through August 29. Comments can be made by attending a workshop on August 20, between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m., at WILMAPCO, hosted by WILMAPCO and DelDOT or viewing information online at www.wilmapco.org/tip. The workshop provides an opportunity to review current and suggested road, non-motorized, bridge, and transit projects. The public workshop is an open house format, and WILMAPCO and DelDOT staff will be on hand to discuss the projects.
The draft amendments to the FY 2012-2015 TIP for New Castle County and Delaware update the four-year listing of transportation priorities and projects based upon available funding from the FY 2013 Delaware Bond Bill. Projects are drawn from recommendations in the long-range Regional Transportation Plan.
The amendments will align the TIP with DelDOT’s new budget goals, the three “Rs.”
- Robust: Maintaining a robust capital plan that will create jobs, while meeting the growing transportation needs of Delaware.
- Realistic: More closely aligning DelDOT resources with our capital program needs i.e. not overestimating the amount of spending needed.
- Responsible: In FY 13, DelDOT has made the decision not to bond to manage future indebtedness and reduce future debt service costs. By the end of FY 31 DelDOT will have no outstanding debt, if we can continue to operate on a cash basis as anticipated.
Major upcoming projects include FY 13 construction on South Union Street, Wilmington; Washington Street, New Castle; new DMV facility; and an improved Christiana Mall Park and Ride. Other projects proposed for construction in FY 13 include safety upgrades at Foulk Road and Wilson Road, SR 52 and SR 82, and Old Chestnut Hill Road intersections. Other major projects include rail improvements to promote increased trips by SEPTA, and the continued right-of-way acquisition and possible construction of US 301. New to the TIP is a proposed $10 million for bicycle and pedestrian pathways to promote travel choice, improve regional air quality, and reduce congestion.
The TIP public comment period extends through August 29. Citizens wishing to submit comments on the TIP can:
- Mail comments to WILMAPCO at 850 Library Ave., Suite 100, Newark, DE 19711
- Attend the August 20 public workshop, 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at WILMAPCO
- Submit comments via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit our “virtual public workshop” online at http://www.wilmapco.org/tipto review workshop materials and maps
WILMAPCO (the Wilmington Area Planning Council) is the regional transportation planning agency for New Castle County, Delaware and Cecil County, Maryland. As the federally designated metropolitan planning organization (MPO), WILMAPCO is charged with planning and coordinating transportation investments for the region based on federal policy, local input, technical analysis and best practices.